-->

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

This is a bit late.
Wanted to blog about this, but internet's being a bugger nowadays.

I'm sure many of you know/heard about the Chinese toddler who got ran over twice, with people passing by in between but reacted with nonchalance towards the badly injured toddler on the road.

I watched the video, out of curiosity. And curiosity killed me.
The first time she got ran over, I started crying. The second time, I couldnt watch. And by the end of the video, I was sobbing like nobody's business, feeling so helpless and pathetic. My mind couldnt comprehend what I just saw. The next thing I knew, I started saying sorry. Sorry on behalf of all the people who walked pass and did not hesitate to do so; sorry she experienced the ugly side of humans in the last moments of her life; sorry how the principles and values of many societies in the world have been compromised, seared and forgotten, even as we progressed tremendously.

Then I started saying sorry. Sorry for all the times I dint lend a helping hand even though I could have; sorry for all the times I compromised my own values because of pride, fear and selfishness; sorry for all the times I talk more than I act; sorry for the times I always think there's always another time.

I dont know why this is happening. All I can think is that this is a wake-up call of what the world is becoming into- apathetic. I dont think it is just China alone. I am pretty sure there are other similar cases like this, except that this happened to be caught on camera and went viral online.

And so I have made a decision. A really, really simple one.
Just treating people in general nicer, and being more appreciative of them. Saying thank you every time I board the bus. Smiling at the cashier. Buying food for the beggar. Giving small treats. Hugging people more. I dont know.. I dont know if any of my actions will make an impact at all, but I do believe it helps make the world a little better, somehow, no matter how small it is. Of course I'm only human and I still fail. But I will keep trying; I dont ever want to lose my soul, and forget what it is to live, even in the busyness and rat-race of life..

No comments:

Post a Comment